Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU)
- The uninversity: Founded in 1743, the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, FAU, has a rich history. It is a strong research university with an international perspective and one of the largest universities in Germany, with 39.780 students, 265 degree programmes, 4,000 academic staff (including over 579 professors), 177,6 million euros (2016) third-party funding, and 500 partnerships with universities all over the world.
Chair VI – Materials for Electronics and Energy Technology: Research at FAU’s i-MEET is concentrated on electronic materials with relevance for energy related devices. Optoelectronic semiconductors for solar cells, lighting applications or high power circuits are in the focus of the currently 4 research groups at i-MEET.
The thesis: This project focuses on the development of an industrially suitable imaging-based characterization method which allows quantifying the defect-related power losses of industrial full-size CIGS photovoltaic modules. Therefore, luminescence and thermography (e.g. Dark-lock-in thermography, DLIT) are to be combined with the electrical characterization of the modules under various illumination levels. In a further step, these measurements as well as data evaluation is to be automized. Besides analytical analysis of the measurement results also machine-learning-approaches should be employed for identifying correlations describing the defect-related power losses and for extrapolating them to standard test conditions.
This PhD project is part of a federally funded research project involving, both, academic and industrial partners.
The thesis can be written in German or English.
- Master degree in physics, materials science, process engineering or comparable
- Experience in using experimental setups (preferably for optics / imaging)
- Physical and technical knowledge (semiconductors, optics and electronics)
- Additional background in image processing and / or machine learning is beneficial
- Ability to work independently
- Enjoy working in a multidisciplinary and international team
- Fluency in English, German is a plus
- Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU)
Werkstoffwissenschaften 6 (WW6) / i-MEET
- Dr. Christian Camus
- +49 9131 9398-152
- +49 9131 9398-199
- (Ursprünglich) veröffentlicht am: